Aeromatic prop wanted

vh2q

For Cruiseair .. I have a perfectly good metal fixed pitch prop on the plane but they say the Aeromatic performs better on takeoff and right now we are marginal with two up, full fuel and a bit of baggage, especially in the summer. I have a line on one that needs new blades but would obviously prefer to buy one that is ready to bolt up. best to email me russ at vh2q dot com

Seems these are unobtanium.

In lieu of the Aeromatic, can one fit a constant speed prop and if so, which one? Control panel has the knob but it's marked "inop". Franklin 150HP.

Is aeromatic.com gone? Is Tarver gone as well? Been out of the loop for a while. A shame what a bureaucrat know-nothing did to a business.

What is not available are blades. Tarver had the TC and was the single source for new blades.

The aerodynamic of the blades with the somewhat crude tipping could be better. If one of the composite blade designs now out there could be adapted,it would solve the blade availability, and improved, the Aeromatic would be world class. Oh, to be able to go to some new experimental category so our crates could be more maintainable and safe. I'm not planning to go part 135 or haul freight, so giving up something worth nothing, standard category. Yes. If only.

While the availability of parts and maintenance may be as bad as for the Aeromatic, the old Sensenich CS series could be a legal combo with your prop control setup with a minor hurdle if its a Franklin 150 since the TCDS shows a Franklin 165. There is a mandatory AD tear-down at 500? hours, I think. Unlike the Aeromatic, there have been some incidents with this prop. I do remember a Franklin 165 Cruisair with one. It seemed to pulled twice as strong as my 150 on T. O.

I suppose M-T propeller could come up with one of their certified electric controlled items via an STC for many $$$.
Then there is the Airmaster electric CS prop out there in the high dollar tier that would work great - but experimental category.

I loved the Aeromatic with alt control. I over-weighted it a bit and used it like a constant speed prop. I could chug along full throttle at 10K turning 2200 rpm if I was in no hurry
I now have a metal prop for my Cruisair, but I need a 12 inch spinner. Any Ideas? Without the Aeromatic, it won't have the take-off performance. And the prop control will say "inop".

Tarver passed so it seems Aeromatics are a thing of the past I fear. There are not too many shops that will do the required maintenance either. They develop oil leaks I am told.

I found what looks to be a usable F200 with the altitude control. But I need 5 more prop bolts/bushings, it only came with 3. And also trying to figure out what seal(s) the chamber where the oil exits the crankshaft nose and enters the prop hub tube ... there does not appear to be any provision for an oil seal.

Last edited:
Greg Lucas good man helped me out with prop bolts/spacers. And Mark Vik explained the seal (fat O ring). We are getting there!

I believe I have found an outfit that will make new blades for the Aeromatic. PM me if you want to go down that avenue. It's possible we may be able to get a volume discount. Right now we are looking at making A,B and/or C blades. I have a set of E blades that could serve as patterns but those go on smaller planes eg Ercoupe.

Back