Aviation Books Worth and Not Worth Reading

Jec's tip was a good one. I just received Skywriting in the mail today. It contains writings from the Balloonist days to Crossfield, the rocket powered test pilot.

This, from the first wedding aloft, told by the Balloonist:

No more, no more, the worldly shore
Unbraids me with its loud uproar
With dreamy eyes, my spirit lies
Beneath the walls of paradise

Not bad ;)

Jonathan

I discovered this by accident. A great book written my none other than the Captain of the Hindinburg. "Zeppelin" by Lehmann. I coundn't set this one down. The last chapter of course was written by a friend as Lehmann the Capt of his ship perished. Lynn N9818B :cry:

If you like aviation poetry, check out 'Because I Fly' by H. Reda. It is a very definitive collection good to just pick up and read a spot from time to time, or to share with those who do not fly and wonder why we do.

It's not aviation-related (navigation-related though ), but the Aubrey- Maturin series of books by Patrick O'Brian are, in my opinion, the greatest historical novels ever written. 20 and a half books total (he died before finishing 21). Truly all are just one continuous story of 19th Century life and ship warfare. Never have I felt immersed in a different time because of ink on a page. Never have I understood what it was like to live in a different era. Never, that is, until POB transported me there.

First book is "Master and Commander" (no Russel Crowe and nothing like the movie). Last book is "Blue at the Mizzen". My particular favorites are "Desolation Island" and "The Reverse of the Medal".

The one thing one must get used to is the period dialogue. Once mastered, the stories flow with humor, tragedy, comfort, pain, anger, love, bravery, cowardice, fidelity and infidelity. I cannot think of one element of the human equation these books do not touch.

Look- just take my word for it. They are magnificent and addictive. I'm on my 5th complete 1 through 21 re-read. I was a die-hard Forrester fan and didn't think I'd give a fig for these. Forrester is a very distant second. Even Margaret thinks they're wonderful, although her favorite book is still Capote's "In Cold Blood". Brrrrrrrrrr...

I'm a fan of O'Brian as well, Dave, and have several on Books on Tape from Audible as well as hard copies of others. However, as you note, the period dialect must be learned and it's more difficult to do so if you start with spoken narration.

Jonathan

Here's my vote. Rainbow and the Rose by Nevil Shute. also No Highway, Sliderule, Round the Bend. All by Mr Shute. Hmm. I sense a pattern.

Love to read a good aviation story. One of the best aviation-related war autobiographies I've read is 'A Thousand Shall Fall' by Murray Peden published by Canada's Wings Inc. 1979. Follows Mr. Pedens career in the RCAF, Bomber Command, from enlistment in 1941 at age 18 through his return home in July 1945. He flew mostly Stirlings and Lancasters both in main force and later as a pathfinder. Wonderfully written, honest and straight forward. Likely hard to find State-side.

Another excellent book on the same subject is 'Lancaster to Berlin" by Walter Thompson, 1985. My copy is a paper back from Totem Book, Toronto. The 'true story of one Canadian's war against Germany'. An excellent read.

Finally, just to show I'm not completely stuck on the RCAF, "The Fall of Fortresses by Elmer Bendiner 1980. You're in the cockpit of a B17 on a daylight raid to Schweinfurt...and wondering why.

And for something completely different 'The Pathless Way' by Justin de Goultiere, who flew for 'the company', B.C. Air Lines Ltd., on the west coast of B.C. Published by Evergreen Press, 1968.

I could suggest others but it's time to go flying. :)

Phil

I saw the book: No Parachute: A Fighter Pilot in World War 1, listed for sale on a web search. Under $20 including shipping.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=998438607&searchurl=sortby%3D2%26sts%3Dt%26tn%3DNo%2BParachute%26x%3D59%26y%3D12:

Joel

Just go to your public library. Ours has a full time librarian and he obtained mine from the USAF Museum. The loan was for a week but you could renew even online. I couln't set that book down so it was read in two nights, Well worth the effort to obtain. Lynn 8)

Hey, you win, Lynn - no argument here my Bellanca brother.

I just got back from a week long seminar in Vegas on web site design and usefulness (they call it usability...ugly word). I had to admire the web folks from public libraries because they may be the last defense of these venerable institutions. Lot of free stuff online if you have your virtual library card for the library you pay taxes to maintain: video, movies, books on tape, and such.

Nothing, however, beats that non volatile storage medium that requires no optical drives other than your eyes: books :)

Jonathan

Got a hold of a neat write up for Cruisair lovers.
U.S. Civil Aircraft Series Vol#8 by Joseph P. Juptner
check ATC #773 14-13 thru -4. This series is a nine volume set and really interesting stuff in there. I ended up getting a complete set thru Amozon fairly cheap, used. Lynn N9818B the Crate :shock:

Juptner is the bible of aircraft history - fascinating look back at all the TCs since TCs were issued...some mighty "interesting" designs as well as some fine ones :)

I used to use a buddy's...then I started moving all over the damned country. You say you grabbed one from Amazon, Lynn - time to take a peek :)

Jonathan

Back