Compass problems

The Bellanca factory has a degausser in Alexandria, MN. I'm rebuilding a 47' 14-13-2 and after many hours of work, was told that I should use pneumatic instead of electric drills, etc. as the electricity will "screw up" my airframe and I will need to degausse
it. Fortunately, I only live a few mile from the factory so it isn't a big deal for me. :(

One last note on the subject. I was visiting with Andy Vano about a week ago at a Christmas party and he explained it to me in lauguage that I could understand. Steel will become magnetic if you "abuse" it enough.
Drilling or even beating it with a hammer can cause it to become magnetic and that alone can screw up the compass. Nuf said. :roll:

Years ago, my Dad rebuilt a Stinson L-5, whose fuselage was primarily arc welded together. The compass would never work properly and he had the airplane 'de-gaussed' at Sacramento Sky Ranch. We've tried a half a dozen B-16 compasses - none work right. We figure the compass is in there as a decoration and legality purposes, only. Dan Cullman

Back