cruisemaster trim resistence

A while back Machinist Workshop magazine did a comparison on penetrating oils and had some surprising results.

Penetrating oil ..... Average load

None ...................... 516 pounds
WD-40 ................... 238 pounds
PB Blaster .............. 214 pounds
Liquid Wrench ...... 127 pounds
Kano Kroil ............. 106 pounds
ATF-Acetone mix(50-50 mix)....53 pounds

The price is certainly right! My older guru at our airport (AP/IA-first certified in the 50's and Chas Taylor winner) told me that 5606 also works well. I used that the other day and it took only seconds to work.

If (or when) I find the actual article, I will try to post it as long as it is not copyright infringement.
Larry

Hi Larry,

The H-5606 may work as a penetrating oil, I've never tried it. But, do not leave it for an extended period (like inside the trim actuator tube). It turns into a gummy mess as you may know from trying to clean it off landing gear, brakes, belly, etc. I really like the Aerokroil.

O-ring Seals

Hi Bob, I agree, it is a sticky mess, but any time I use any penetrating oil, I always clean the part if I am going to use it again. Also, I would be careful using the 50-50 mix of ATF and acetone, 'cause acetone will dissolve so many substances. Again, if one does use it, the part must be thoroughly cleaned if it is to be reused.
Larry

Hey Guys.
I've got the same dang problem with a CM N9811B. Can the trim cable be removed via the tail? Is it a speedometer cable? Should I try to take it out or just lube it with that magic potion you guys are talking about?

Kent Tarver

Special K , Don't even think about removing this thing unless your recovering the plane. Try the lube job as it is the easiest way to go. Mine is still too easy thanks to Kroil. I see the Reno trim tab has it's first I'm here to help you lawyer filed for a cool 25 million! Lynn the crate N9818B :shock:

Seems like good advice from what I've been reading about the problem. Where do I get that magic potion? And how did you apply it?
Kent

You can order Kroil from Kano Labs in Nashville. Spray it where the cable enters the shaft forward and aft. Keep spraying daily and it will free things up. Patience in this as the stuff does creep slow but sure. Lynn the crate :)

Tried spraying kroil, it immediately got easier. The problem was it got easier because the whole assembly started rotating. Gained access to the clamps and tightened them. The trim is still stiff. I gained some access near the crank assembly by dropping the headliner above the door. The shaft is slightly uphill at the crank. Hoping the kroil will work its way through the tube anyway with a week or so of patience as I spray a little kroil every day.

Back