Gearophobia

If your rear spar landing gear fitting has cracked due to overtorque, now is the time to make a shim to restore the rear spar to it's correct dimension. Greg....... As far as stress relieving in welding this part you must have been thinking of TIG welding. If you gas weld this part, like it was originally, you shouldn't have this problem. Dan

JB, have you seen anything in print or been told anything about how the the drag link on the very early 14-19s is supposed to be adjusted? Larry L. was kind enough to send me the proper procedure for the later 14-19s and those of us with the Slim Kidwell STC on our Cruisairs, but I have yet to see anything about the early 14-19s or the hand crank Cruisairs , other than the one SB that I mentioned earlier. My feeling is that a wrongly adjusted acuator could easily cause preloading and the eventual failure of the drag link. The engine driven hydraulics of the 14 19 would put far more strain on things than the hand crank Cruisair gear._______Does anybody have more information? _____Grant.

This whole saga has been interesting and educational. I am doing a complete restoration on my 14-13-2 including every chain, wire, and about everythin else that I can think of. However, since reading this forum, I am in the process of "beefing-up" the part of my gear that failed JB. I am sorry about JB's loss but we will never know how many birds may be saved by this topic on the forum. Thanks to everyone for your input.
Gary

Back from OSH :D was not impressed :cry: . The ride out was tough and the ride back was tougher and 2 days. Global warming my a--. Where the heck is summer? Lynn the crate :|

Meanwhile, normally mind and pleasant Western Washington was hitting 100...

I never think of global warming as just a it-gets-hot thing...more a damned-weather-is-just-plain-crazy thing.

Where you really see its consistency is in polar regions. That's part of the problem. Who gives a crap about polar bears dying off, or snow vanishing from, say, the top of Mt. Fuji? It's first profound signs are not all that profound to most people. By the the time it's really hurting us it's gone too far, alas.

As you know, the only one I care much about is Blakesburg. Colder weather at that one would be a blessing indeed.

Jonathan

I saw Lynn's create at OSH. It was the only triple tail I saw there and I did not take mine this year. I did notice that the flap springs were doubled, one inside the other. Is that a Cruisemaster thing or is the Cruisair supposed to be that way also? I only have one spring on mine and they are not very strong.

Kevin'

Kevin:

I just purchased a set of springs from the factory for my Cruisemaster. Mine were single springs, obviously not the right ones. When Carroll told me there were four I wasn't sure he had the right numbers, especially when they totaled nearly $150.
Called Lynn and he set me straight.

Can't tell you what the Cruisairs are suppose to have, but think the four spring setup would be an improvement.
If they were single they must have changed them for some reason, except twice the cost :?:

According to Carroll I got the last set they had. :(

Monti, sure missed you at OSH. I talked to your brother for awhile at the crate, never did get his name ( he never offered)quiet man. Spent some time with Robert at the Vintage building. One other Tripletail was in and out N7682B way down the south 40. Jason from Georgia. I saw no others although the Vintage judges were looking for a Cruiseair. Someone joined the Vintage and needed to be judged. You don't get judged unless you pay them money that doesn't work in my Libertarian mind. I did get a nice participant award, all for me paying them 10 bucks. Are you still with me on this? Good crowds poor weather. The trip was a 5 out of 10. Two things made it for me: The Lancaster Bomber and my picture at the PolyFiber booth which they made me sign. That was a really nice reward! :) Lynn the crate flew home all still working perfectly :D

Lynn:

Was in a blue funk all week after deciding not to go. I did get a lot done on the blue bomb. Made the torpedoes for the tail wires. Tried to put them back as near original as possible, natural wood, laced on, etc. The only thing I have to go by was the way they were. Putting in the insulation and front floor boards, and rearranging the antennas. With a little trimming here and there the fuselage should be done. The hostelry guy came out this week and we're going to start on that. The engine is going to slow me down now but, my goal is having it together for the Cactus Flyin (AZ). It's going to be COLD in PA about that time, better put it on your calendar. Mike Gardner has been taking best Bellanca award with N711W.
Let's put the crate beside it and see what happens :wink:

Another goal/dream is to try and get all four blue -2's together. (9805B, 18B, 32B, 40B)
They would be a sight setting on the flight line together, but a formation flyby. "WOW". 8)

Fly them with care guys, their running out of parts :!: :!:
Monty

Guys
Way back when I first bought my Cruisair (1990)I found Cracks in the triangle plate attached to the rear spar. I replaced the spar straps with crome moly twice as thick, as I was told it was an area of weakness. I made them up so they were a nice firm fit on the rear spar. I have done 250 hours on them with no problems. I call it 'Crusair Australian mod number 1'. I was also told to have them stress relieved - as crome moly is susceptible to cracking, but I'm no metalurgist... but after all that has happen I will be giving this area a great deal of inspection again.

So sorry to hear of all the gear problems putting fantastic old aeroplane out of the air!!! My heart goes out to you all.

Back