GPS Mount

swixtt

what do you guys use for GPS mounts?
i have a small hand-held that i have loaded all the aviation waypoints into and would like for backup and tracking.

I used to use a Lowrance 600c and mounted it directly on the panel between the four instrument (no dg or ah). I have since replaced it with an ATC anywhere map mounted in exactly the same place.
Ray E

Ray:

How do you like the ATC? I am looking to replace my Loran and can use some input.
Looking at: Garmin Aera 550, 495, used Lowrance 2000c, ATC, ?

me too.... let us know as i'm thinking of the 500.
i see no picture that you attached? not enough permissions?

I've had the anywhere map ATC about 1-1/2 years and am very happy with it. Lots-Lots-Lots of features. I've also installed the pocket plates program which give me all the approach plates (I move the unit between a citabria and a bonanza). It can be updated every 24 hrs, if you like, which will give you TFR's. It also can be used with xm weather, although I do not have that feature. It also gives the airport diagrams, also geo-referenced, just like the pocket plates. There are many features I just don't use, such as the glide slope to any airport, hsi etc. The database subscription is $ 115 per year.
Things I don't like about it. It washes out in direct sunlight. Not much of a problem in the citabria, but more so in the bonanza.
It's database lacks some rivers and lakes. It is slow to respond, when you make a fast turn it has to catch up.
If you wait a month or two I'm sure you will see original ATC on the used market at bargain prices as Anywhere Map has announced a new 4.3" HD unit. I'll probably buy one of these when it comes out.
Ray E

I got a call from Mr. Banks, but I figure you all should know. That panel is still in flux. The installation should be approved in a little bit, but its really prototype at this moment.

Found the pic of the anywhere map mounted in the citabria. By the way CV has just announced a new anywhere map Quadra. Looks great and addresses most of the problems with the old model
anywheremap.com

All -

I have been using Garmin 396 (and now 496) with a simple RAM suction cup mount holding the unit just above the right side of the glare shield. The suction cup attaches nicely to the right side of the windscreen. It makes for a very nice easy in/easy out application. Do note that if you subscribe to XM weather or music or both, the XM hockey-puck antenna has inside of it two small but powerful magnets that must be removed so as not to interfere with your liquid compass. This can be done by any competent avionics shop in 15 minutes or less. Unless you're really skilled, I suggest you do not try this on your own. The puck has three layers, and disassembliong the layers requires some deftness. Also, as I recall, there's a micro plug between two of the three layers that must be unplugged and then reconnected. If you've got a shop where you do business, they'll likely do it free as a courtesy.

Once that's done. the GPS and XM antennas both fit easily inside a $2 school-supply pencil holder and can be placed on the glare shield between the liquid compass and windscreen.

I move my unit from Citabria to TBM to truck with absolutely no problem. (I don't remove the mount. It was very cheap to have mounts ready to receive the unit in all 3 locations.)

Jim Robins
N87VF

I use an Angerole Model 241 Instrument panel mount. http://www.angerole.com/. It uses a standard instrument hole in the panel, which was available on my 7KCAB. I like it, it's really a nice way to mount a unit if you have an extra hole in the panel. I've got a Garmin 296 and just got a Garmin 496 in the avionics package for my RV12, they both fit into the angerole. They are excellent GPS units, I haven't initialized the XM on the G-496, yet, can't comment on that. I don't fly in IMC anymore, so will have to see if the $30/ month is worth it..

think i saw your posts on VAF. i'm looking for a new GPS for my citabria. did you end up selling your 296 yet?

i still can't see these pics people post. i'm going to have let a mod know or something.

You will have to join the B-C Club to have access to those posts or to use the search function.

Ron
advancedtailwheeltraining.com

hmmm... ok. so much for the beauty of the WWW.
nice pics on your site:)
i want some pants like those! my citab didn't come with any:(

thanks

Back