GPS Mount

No, not hardware. Our 7ECA came with the mounting plates and axle extensions on the gear, you can get them from ACA.

Thanks for the kind words.

Ron
advancedtailwheeltraining.com

finally got my Garmin 296 but it sadly doesn't work. working on that particular issue with Garmin.

so i'm in search for best way to mount this. i tried some the gear it came with but nothing really works. bcs i can't see these pics you guys have posted... have any installed on the left-side of the panel or above the panel? wondering if it's hard to operate with the left hand? i do have some room under the txpd and radio as it's just a flat piece of metal there. could it go there?
thanks

I have a Garmin 196 in my '69 ECA and use the suction extention arm mounted on the imitation wood on the door close to the bottom of the window and the hinge. The extention arm contorts enough to allow it to sit nicely in view, the only drawback is you have to switch hands holding the stick to select the appropriate buttons. Even without the hockey puck antenna it gets good reception in that location however I do have the green house.

i'm expecting my 'repaired' unit back any day now. haven't even used it once ... defective. garmin replaced the unit.
thanks for the suggestion on that.
still haven't seen any pics so i'm not entirely sure what other have done here.... hopefully i can find a good location isn't in the way.

Ray:

Do you have a skylight in your Citabria? If so, how does the screen show up in sunlight?

Amazing co-incidence; I bought my iFly 700 at Sun 'n Fun; thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread ;-) Mounted it on the suction cup provided, secured to the right side of the windscreen where it becomes somewhat straight, then articulating it so it winds up a 1/4" above the panel. The only problem (same as with the borrowed 396) is that it's really hard to see with all that sunshine behind it; is this better with your high mount?

Thanks,

Robert: I have a skylight, but I also use a cover velcrowed to it. With the skylight covered up the IFLY is very bright and readible. I'm using it as a backup to my ATC and the sectional charts which show up very nicely on the 7" screen. I have a short video in-flight but it was taken with an iphone and doesn't seem to download I'll try to convert it to something other than mov.
Ray

Actually they both have some very nice features and other features I don't like.
Here's a list of MY likes of each
Anywhere map ATC likes
1. The vector vfr view is very nice shows restricted areas, terminal area with the altitudes, also the terrain view works great.
2. The gps has never failed to lock on without an antenna.
3. The approach plates (pocket plates) addition is great. georeferenced.
4. I like the fact that you see an airport symbol. Touch it and it gives you the airport info, freq's, alt etc.
Dislikes
1. update is sometimes a little tricky to download from the computer. The new quadra does not use direct hookup to computer, uses wifi which I understand can also be difficult.
2. screen could be brighter- difficult to see in direct sunlight
3. I've gone thru three batteries in about 2 years
4. shut down process is really drawn out. About 5-6 button pushes just to shut down.
5. sectional chart screen could be better
IFLY likes
1. 7" screen size is nice and looks good with sectional charts
2. very easy update process using a usb memory card. then transfer to IFLY plug in and download.
3. powers off and on immediately
4. Has a remote control which is nice.
IFLY dislikes- to be fair ifly is a new product and software is still being developed. many hoped for changes scheduled to arrive in August.
1. no internal backup battery
2. screen could be brighter - difficult to see in direct sunlight
3. uses tru course instead of mag course (due to change in August)
4. does not put spec. airspace alt limits on chart (due to change in august)
In summary if I could have only one I would choose the ATC anywhere map even thou it has a smaller screen, but I'm not sure I would choose the new Quadra which replaced it. I would have to try it out first.

Back