Help! My 14-13-2 project is at a stand still.

My goodness - just did a web search for Reindeer leather and discovered that ALL SORTS OF THINGS are made from that material. Those Nordic folks have a lot of time on their hands in winter, and Reindeer are one of the few things around.

Sorry, Gary, for making such an incredulous commotion over that material. I had no idea how commonly it is used. To me it sounded like "the seals are made from crushed monkey brains."

But hey, if you're not ignorant you've got nothing to learn....uh...that didn't come out quite right.

Jonathan

I can't verify it but I have heard that crushed monkey brains are a common additive to many of our foods! :twisted:
Gary

Yes, from the Nation that brought you lead paint for toys, poisonous toothpaste, and pet food that will put Spot on dialysis.

Hey, I understand short range thinking too - have benefited from it many times during my bar hopping days...until I noticed a stranger with too much makeup laying next to me in the morning.

As I peruse the LL Bean Catalog - once the ultimate (for us New Englanders at least) venue for fine back-country craftsmanship to take on any weather adventure imaginable - and those things that you got yourself into that you hadn't imagined - has nary an item made in this country. I figured a least the boots...oops, nope. Well, those micro-climate capable complex parkas - no bleeping way those would be made in...oops...they are.

Everyone has gotten used to this of course, but that morning is coming and that that gal with too much makeup will be there when lots of folks wake up :)

Jonathan

Yes, and do you remember the days when "Made in Japan" meant it was cheap junk? I think China is where Japan was so many years ago.
Gary

Boy, you guys are older than Amega computers!! I'll bet you even know how to organize data using 3 by 5 index cards. Geez, you must be even as old as when real cars were made in Detroit!!! And you can still pass the FAA physical. AMAZING!!!

Larry (who is looking at deciding how I am going to do Medicare Part D pretty darn soon!!!)

My brother, he knew things...

It as if machines could talk to him in a voice more clear and honest than any weary soul in Florida...or Phoenix, burdened by kids and grand-kids who no longer cared to mildly understand their elders' purpose in the sheer fact of their existence, as if life itself was made anew when the shrink wrap was pulled from their suckling beings into - at least partial - sentience.

Nope, the machines spoke to him as I might speak to you, Larry, when we get wrapped up in aviation and talk too long for those around us to endure. Machines, more than flesh and blood, were his friends.

At five he brought a dead lawn mower back to life. At eight he pleaded with my father - a Jew and no doubt a rag man in another life - to drag home a discarded television set. I don't know how the f**k he managed to address its ills.

Years ago he showed me his Bearcat scanner with zeal. He opened it up and showed me the components. "Clean circuitry," he said. "Made in America," as if that were the punctuation mark that mattered above all others. Actually that was MANY years ago, alas.

But, gentlemen, WE FLY AIRPLANES MADE IN AMERICA and thus, for us, a bygone age rests - at its peak - in our hangars or, awaiting revival in our....well...hangars.

And, Larry, the Amiga was a brilliant computer so far ahead of its time. It possessed a true multitasking OS the like of which I am still waiting for on my PC. A decade after its demise, game gobblers were talking Local Bus Video....something the makers of the Amiga never thought about because such things were simply a part of that computer's basic architecture.

Ah, but I digress :)

Jonathan

You have too much time on your hands!
Actually, I have supplied several with the chevron packings for the 14-13 series.
New packings won't stop leaks on worn or pitted gear legs.
Dan

Well heck, reading that whole thread was some kind of trip down memory lane.

Raindeer = Carribou... very common in N. Canada, Norway, Siberia. Leather should be anything but unobtanium.

Just saw a program about the Saami people in Norway and their eons long relationship with
these giant stupid deer. They were all speaking better English than the folks in K-mart ( people not the raindeer).

If I haven't run out of liquor stores to rob during this next round of the restoration ( read fixing deferred maint)
I may pick your brain on the chevron part numbers Dan. Plenty good Hydraulics shop nearby.

Worn - pitted..you bet. If not, and if you don't fill them right.. and overdo it.. they are gonna leak till they are
right ( or empty). :roll:

While working at the B-C Club (Capitol Airport, Pewaukee, WI) we got the V packing from a local hydraulic shop. As I remember, they were readily available and not expensive.... after all, they didn't have AN at the begining of the part number.

The upper gear legs on the -3 are actually an up graded unit that was being produced & stockpiled (?) for the soon to be released 14-19 and are different from those used on the straight 14-13 and the -2. If the upper leg has a "cuff" on the bottom it's the old version; the -3 and Cruisemaster upper leg was straight. If you have the newer one, the factory supports it. The seal is a 18083-26 and the O-ring is an AN 233825. The drawing for the gear is also easy to get. The club has a selection of drawings for the old gear, but not all. I believe the taxi springs are the same; make sure yours are still usable and not pounded into a short version. Once you're "weight on wheels" the spring is the suspension for the gear, not the fluid.

OBTW, Volume 6, #6 issue (that's in1994) of the B-C Contact has a short blurb, about 2 columns, about the struts on page 15. Not too much that hasn't already been covered in this forum thread other than a graphic.

Cruisairs don't sit well at all, they are far less prone to developing problems, leaks, and strange noises if they're used often. These last few months have been very frustrating since whenever the winds, rain, sleet or fog has allowed GA flying I have been out with customers or flight instructing in various Wichita Spam Cans.

Shoot the raindeer and put it in the freezer!!!! Just as a side note, many Cruisairs have the packing/chevron seals and an o-ring. Many people have had the lower bushing (the big one at the bottom) grooved for an o-ring, which is just one more thing to prevent leaking of the oil. As Dan said, nothing will work if the legs are rusted or pitted. Oh as another side note, I was told early in my Bellanca learning days that 5606 turns actual leather seals into stone. You must use mineral oil if you have original leather seals. How you would tell if a 65 year old seal is leather or not, I have no clue. Just replace old seals with new. If I get to my hanger this week, I will get the part number for new packing, but I think I got the number from somewhere on this forum, so a search might find the correct number. Good Luck. _____Grant.

Back