Hydraulic Gear on 14-19 red light issue

Back when I was initially working on my 14-19, I found that the microswitches used on the gear were standard MS (Mil Spec) products of the Microswitch company. One of the equivalent MS switches (same size and ratings) has both Normally Open and Normally Closed contacts.

To set up the wiring for "In Transit" operation, the circuit starts by attaching the +12 feed to the Common connector of the Gear Down microswitch. The Normally Open connector of the Gear Down switch goes to one side of the Gear Down panel lamp. The lamp has the other side grounded. This causes the Gear Down lamp to illuminate when the gear is down and activates the microswitch.

The Normally Closed connector of the Gear Down microswitch is attached to the Common connector of the Gear Up microswitch. The Normally Closed connector of the Gear Up switch goes to one side of the In Transit panel lamp. The lamp has the other side grounded.

The Normally Open side of the Gear Up microswitch is not connected to anything.

Note that if the other side of the lamps are connected to +12 rather than ground, then the Gear Down Common connection must be connected to ground.

The In Transit lamp will be illuminated unless either the Gear Up or Gear down microswitches are activated when the gear arrives at either stop and hits either microswitch. It goes out when either microswitch is activated. The Gear Down light only goes on when the down microswitch is activated.

Dave

Back