Hydraulic Power Pack Used in the 14-19-2?

I meant the gear - them chicken legs - Vic. Although I have far from the keenest eye, Russell mentioned the same thing. His eyes are like the Terminator's :lol: :lol:

Jonathan

Vic, your landing gear trailing links are like the ones on every -2 I've ever seen in that they don't have a stop welded onto the trailing links where they pivot at the "knee". See this picture for an example of what I'm talking about (and ignore the silly tire spats :))

http://www.russellw.com/photoalbum/photo_drilldown.asp?ID=1223

The end of the trailing links at the knee joint are rounded and don't have a stop.

Jonathan's 14-19 has a link that a) has the gear down microswitches located at the knee rather than buried up in the wing leading edge near the mlg strut pivot, and b) there's a welded-in flat stop at the end of the trailing links so that there's an overcenter stop.

The overcenter stop is not designed well, in that to go overcenter the trailing link actually has to pull the main gear leg slightly backwards. The trailing link is held in the overcenter position by the hydraulic lock in the actuator cylinder. If the actuator lock is released and the airplane is sitting on the gear then the main gear leg wants to move forward from the weight of the airplane. This pulls the trailing link taut and out of the overcenter position.

It really wakes you up when you get into a 14-19, flip on the master switch to start up, and suddenly hear the loud mechanical-phone-ringer clanging of the gear-up warning bell. I know this because Jonathan's plane used to have a slight leak in the hydraulic circuit and it would release the gear enough to pull out the overcenter. It became a standard checklist item to hand-pump the gear back down first thing before the master switch came on to keep the dang bell from being so loud!

My assumption on why Vic's 14-19 has -2 style gear was that Bellanca changed the design mid-way through the 14-19 production run, and the later design become the design of the -2 as well.

Or maybe your plane just has -2 gear?

-Russell

hey russell!

thanks for the explanation! i was completely unaware. :?

i suspect you're correct that the design was changed mid-model; my serial no. is #2075 (number 75 out of 99) so it is a relatively late airframe.

never had the gear warning horn come on with the master switch. i bet that would really get your attention! :eek:

you still thinking about blakesburg? you two (jonathan) got me thinking about it now. hmmm.... :roll:

keep in touch!

blue skies,
vic & N522A

Jonathan, John Laser 341 10th St Wisc. Rapids WI 54494 the owner of N9818B 4 years ago has a Electrol Power pack 750 s/n 108 he wants to sell. I just found out about this because he told me I had first dibs. Well I don't need his stinkin power pack and you do ,so call his ass at 715-424-2294 and tell him I sent you! Remember he is 85 years old so of course nothing is free to him. Everybody wins at least some time so maybe this will help you. Lynn N9818B :p

Thanks, Lynn!

Nothing is free. Doesn't matter how old you are....IMHO, of course :p

Phoning him now....Wow, what a nice guy - soft spoken, great sense of humor. He flew Liberators in the Pacific during the war. He flew a 14-19-2 for many years, as you know, Lynn, thus the power pack may be a 750N. He's going to check and get back to me. The pack leaks, and cost 600 dollars when he last had one overhauled. This means it's been a long time :)

He just got back to me. It is indeed a 750N. He was quite surprised there was an "N" on it. He's sending it to me, and he wants me to see if I can fit it into my airplane before I send him payment. If not, I'll send the pack back to him in time for OSH, as he's sure he can sell it there.

Ah, that sense of trust among pilots....in this case it's not misplaced at all but, oh my, how times have changed in too many cases. I've relocated suddenly many times for a job - twice owning thousands of dollars to my mechanic and taking my airplane with me. Never did a mechanic withold the logs, and never was there any doubt among these mechanics that they'd see their money. And, of course, I paid them, with interest if I had to pay in installments rather than quickly. I'd wager everyone reading this would. However the stories I'm hearing from mechanics now makes me wonder whether those days are going if not gone. If they are gone then I'm glad I became a pilot and aircraft owner before they did.

Just a little off-topic digression, more suitable for another topic entirely.

Thanks again, Lynn. It made my day, to put it mildly.

Jonathan

Ah, the joys of aircraft ownership! Am I still bleeding? I agree with you Jonathan, as I am one of the old school trusting A&P IA who still trust people to do the right thing. You are right again as it is all dieing and coming to an end. Am I still bleeding Hon----YES.
Sure glad John Lazer made your day as he made mine when I got 18B :) :) Lynn N9818B

For you, Lynn, we should stick to "But it's all right ma.....I'm only bleeding," Dylan. For DD...well...that depends on the ventillation in his shop on a given day :) I can recall enjoying Gustav Mahler when employing butrate dope to stiffen the tissue paper on a model airplanes when I was a kid. Yeah, I was a SERIOUS kid :roll: It didn't help; my models turned out awful.

I'm not sure it's time to write the eulogy for trust among those who make GA work just yet. You need one set of standards for internet transactions, including an automatic alarm regarding ANYTHING involving Nigeria (a culture that, at times, seems based on the grift), a lot of things from Florida, yet nary a con job from, say, Wisconsin. Florida feels more like a personal string of terrible luck rather that a State full of grifters. In short, the internet is what it is.

Many small airfields operate as they always have. Kittie Hill still has the self service honor system. You pump your gas, open the nearby mailbox, fashion an IOU, and pay your bill at the end of the month. If you screw a shop, word still gets around at roughly the same speed as a telephone call.

Some, but not all, is lost :D

Jonathan

I lost a cylinder on a compression check doing my annual. 30 hrs and the intake valve is leaking 80/40 so Sentry got it back overnight (another 100 bucks) and will fix it under warranty. Send it back overnight (and another 100 bucks) so I can get the crate to Oshkosh, BECAUSE I want to see how John Lazer sells Bellanca parts without Pober price markup! He is bring all his old parts from N9818B to sell there. I want to see how he plans to do this? And see if Jonathan used the Powepack on his 14-19.
Lynn N9818B :?: :?

Ouch! And you had just bought an entire set recently.

I'm not quite sure I understand, Lynn. You just got ripped for two bills, so you're heading to Air Vulture where they charge you for bringing your own cooler? I won't even mention the twenty seven bucks a night for the privilege of laying your weary body on their sacred grass. Sorry, no mint on your pillow.

I hate to say this, but as an owner of two so-called aging aircraft it's all too clear: no matter what the EAA did in the past, they represent more of a threat today to classics and antiques than the FAA. Sad but true, alas.

Not sure if you folks caught this when it first appeared on AvWeb, but read for yourselves. These are YOUR aircraft under discussion, and the EAA - not known for antiques or classics - decided to pull something directly from their posterior without consulting anyone. Their answer: make 'em all Experimental with no ability to return. This will do wonders....for whom?

http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/192360-1.html

For the response from Bob Taylor, Prez of the Antique Aircraft Association, head over here: http://aaa-apm.org/

Sorry Lynn for starting a bar fight while we were just sipping our beers. Sorry too that the land lizzard guy snatched that nifty 14-19-2 panel from you and Russell and Ebay :cry:

Jonathan

I go to Oshkosh just to fire myself up for Blakesburg. Oshkosh basically sucks since Pober Boy set the pace. Once again it's all about money- Bonanzas and war birds. Pober and gang are nothing more than BS, make those bucks till the bottom falls out and you and I know that is not too far into the future.
Lynn N9818B :evil:

Pober Sr. often shows up to Blakesburg, says he hates the direction EAA is going yet supports Jr. in print (I can't say I blame him for that, really) and hawks that venerable magazine too few people have heard of, Sportsman Pilot http://www.sportsmanpilot.com/default.htm

As I've said, AOPA - the organization and the magazine - is the best GA organization at the moment. While I doubt any of us would want to attend one of their fly-ins, it's fun to watch them issue a new orriface to the Feds (their performance at the aging aircraft forum was great) plus they cover a wider range of GA machines, from G4s to Curtiss Juniors (yes, that was Dan Cullman's Dad scowling at us from his Junior during the photo shoot for their recent article on the airplane). In short, AOPA has a corporate feel to it, but it takes responsibility for grass roots as part of the constituency it represents.

EAA is valuable for its local chapters, Young Eagles program, builders workshops, and countless other things. What galls me is that when it's time for the family reunion, we're shuttled to the side as the poorer relations :)

Back to the topic, I should have John's 750N early this coming week, and I'll fly down to Albany to get a first hand notion of that major surgery Vic speaks of. I think I have a buyer for the pack even if I can't use it, thus he'll have one fewer item to haul to Air Vulture.

Jonathan

I got my crate back up and running. Sentry stood by the Cly. and fixed me up with new intake valve and seat. So now off to Poberland and the land of big bucks Oshkosh. How is the power pack working out for you, Jonathan? Hope we can meet face to face one of these days and drink some beer! Lynn N9818B :) :)

Received John's power pack yesterday, but the weather is too lousy for me to fly it to Albany, OR to see how we'll fit it to use it as a replacement for the B model.

Unfortunately, the 750Bs will be a no-go for 14-19s in the future. No one has the data (Dick Pifer's data is home brew), most of the cams used to open/close valves are quite worn, and many packs "feature" redone valves that have to be shimmed to travel their proper distances. Thus we'll have to retrofit to the 750Ns which are still capable of being overhauled and don't require the all too tight tolerances of the killer Bz. If we compile some 337s on this mod, it could make life a whole lot easier for other 14-19 owners as time goes by.

You will see me at Blakesburg, Lynn. I'm sure you recall that splendidly rank little bar on the premises :)

Jonathan

Jonathan and gang, looks like land lizzard guy has tried to snatch e-bay info along with that instrument panel we bid on. Lots of low life out there in cyber land! Lynn N9818B :twisted: :evil:

Back