Hydraulics

I had issues of the parking brake also leaking rebuilt it and still had some issues, so I got on line about it and others had same issue from replacing to Cleveland brakes and masters, The problem from what i was told is they are higher pressure than the factory brakes, I removed the parking brake from the system and problem solved!

I'm pulling the parking brake out for O ring overhaul. I guess since the seats are out I will do the same for the master cylinders. I think it will be a while for my new fuel hoses to return. Lynn the Crate

Update, the leak is on the parking valve plunger. This is a Scott 4500 A2. $380 each ACS, I ordered a kit which appears to have instructions paying more for shipping than the kit costs. The reason is when you get that Scott out you find the actuating pins are peened and will need to be cut to remove the plunger and change the small O ring. The kit has two O rings and two cotter keys so I want to see what they do. It looks like Mooney used the 4500 and the kit appears to be made for them. I will let you know. As of Sept last year the Crate is going through Menopause: Power pack overhaul returned to fix small leak that cost two months, then the fuel lines, still waiting on them China Covid, now the brake leak, waiting on repair kit. WOW did 2021 put a damper on this! Glad to see 2022 and more flying less maintenance. Lynn the CRATE :roll:

Same here for 2021. Flew only 25hrs in 2021 in my Cruisemaster.
If there is a replacement plunger in repair kit - I'm definitely interested as mine are slowly wearing out. I've replaced those two o-rings last year.

No plunger just O rings, I was not impressed. Your only choice is to buy new Scott 4500s. Very pricy maybe you can find used ones as the Mooney's use them. Lynn the crate

The parking brake valve Scott 4500 A2 has been overhauled. The inter O ring was bad on the left side and that is where I had my leak. Changing the inter ring is real brain surgery. I also had changed the fuel hoses from each tank to the selector valve. I could not get any fuel pressure using the wobble pump, the electric Duke pump, or the engine driven pump. They all had lost their prime somehow. I ended up filling the Aux tank to max, then raising the tail to give good head (the fuel was above all the pumps). I then was able to prime instantly, and the problem was solved. The Crate was going through Menopause, and this is the first time in 13 yrs that it cost some money to make it airworthy. The Power Pak will set you back at least 3 grand. Lynn the Crate

A question Bellanca Boys. The Adel clamps on the landing gear hydraulic actuator hoses have a slotted head screw holding them against the wheel well. Are these screws removeable to loosen and remove the Adel clamp? Or do these screws have a totally inaccessible nut on the other side of the rib, next to the fuel tank? Someone out there has a project with the fuel tank covers opened up and can see the other side of the rib and how those Adel clamps are held in place. I have an inkling to put new O rings in the gear actuator and if those Adel clamps are removable to replace the hydraulic hoses to the actuator. Lynn the crate :?:

I recently bought a parts donor 14-19-2 and the wings are off and one of the rank covers has been removed, I will look and see how the clamp is fastened the next time I get back to the airport. I am going to replace the taxi springs on my flying airplane and wondered if anyone knows where to get the chevron seals for the main gear strut and the tail wheel strut?

Craig, the main strut has no chevron seals and uses an AN6227B-24 O ring and felt gasket 180083-26. These can be obtained through AAC if needed. The tailwheel strut uses Chevron seals. They can be obtained from Porter Seal Co. 800-401-9402 thanks to Dan Cullman or Dayton Seals & Packing 937-228-2300 (1.000X1.375). They are sandwiched with nylon packing. Look on the Internet as there is a good article on how to install these. After years of servicing the tailwheel with 5606, I discovered that using hydraulic jack oil makes it work much better. Lynn the Crate

Lynn,

Thanks for the information. I found an old post from Dan that stated the size of the seals for the MLG strut and the Tailwheel strut so I found them through a hydraulic supply place and ordered them but that must have been for an airplane different than the 230. I will order the O rings and felt seal so I have my bases covered when I get the gear out. I was hoping to go to the airport today and would have an answer for you on the Adel clamp but we ended up in another ground blizzard so I am staying put until the wind goes down, hopefully I will get out there tomorrow.

Back