Making a Pair of Wings New

Hi Grant... I like the idea of gluing the tank covers in place. Once the fuel tanks are inspected and returned to good condition as needed, they should not require maintenance for a long time. I plan to talk to Dan Torrey soon and get his help and advice on various issues. Regarding the Stits video, I am on the hunt for this. By the way keep us posted on the tank cover repair job you are planning. Thanks again - my reference library is growing with each helpful comment! --Rob

Rob, I should not have said mine would be repaired soon, since the field that I am on is so muddy that I cant get my 4 by4 truck near my hanger. California has been dry for so long that it hasnt been a problem, but it is already getting bad at the field. I will see how it goes. _____Grant.

A while back I mentioned that I had a copy of the factory's {Alexandria} method of laying out the fabric to recover the wings. If you can find a Cruisair with original fabric on the wings, you'll see that GM did it the same way on earlier airplanes. This is a nice method with no seams or tapes on the leading edge. The only major taped flush seam runs diagonally along the bottom of the wing.
Bear in mind that the text mentions nitrate dope as the glue that sticks the dacron to the wood. The Ceconite process uses this method. Nitrate dope is VERY flammable....read EXPLOSIVE. Treat it as such.
The Stits,Polyfiber, Consolidated process has a nice essay, as previously noted, for covering wooden wings that uses their own fire resistant materials.
If you will send me a stamped, addressed envelope, I'll send you a copy for your file.
Dan Cullman
17661 SE. 301st St.
Kent, WA. 98042

I have read the entire posts on repairing/recovering wings with interest. I completed rebuilding a Criusair this past spring and experienced most of what has been discussed. I bought a project and the wings were good except for "beefing up" under the wing walk. I wasn't retired so I could only work when I had spare time but it took me nearly eight years to remove the covering and fuel tanks from the wings, repair a couple of areas, sand, sand, sand, replace the covering and to paint them. (I was trained in the Air Force to recover control panels, etc.). Dan was correct that you want to use Poly Fiber as it is a dream to work with compared to the old linen process and a LOT safer. Also, I live in Alexandria, MN so I had lots of expert advice.

Hi Gary... thanks for adding your comments. It's possible I could set a record for the longest amount of time spent in a restoration measured in decades, so don't feel bad about your eight years. Question: how did you cover the fuel tanks - glue, fasteners? --Rob

Back