Need Help with Goodrich Brakes

Wow, this post came up from old (2008). I now have that Cruisemaster and the old Haynes brakes were actually leaking from the expansion "donuts" hemselves. They would hold pressure for a couple of landings, but with continued use, they would eventually not hold. This last fall, I replaced the axles with Viking axles and Cleveland Brakes and wheels. Everything brake-wise is much improved now.

What master cylinders did you use with the clevelands ??? Sample 337 in the club pub doesnt even mention
new master cylinders !

That stopped me from installing the new axles and brakes during annual this week.

I was having the same problem, but blowing out the gummy old brake fluid, flushing the lines with plenty of new 5606 ( aviation red hydraulic fluid), removing, cleaning, and replacing O-rings in the master cylinders, then filling and bleeding the system brought the hayes back to life.

Of course I had no leaking expander tubes. Expander tubes are only available used, I think.
Changing them wouldnt be hard.

I Did have a nasty leaking master cylinder ( remove belly plate and feel around ). New o-rings cured that.

I know there has been a lot of talk on here about changing the master cylinders, but I didn't. I changed the axles to the modern Viking axles, Cleveland wheels and brakes, but kept the old cylinders. I figured I might have to, but I can assure you that plane will stop on a dime now. If it were to stop any quicker, I would have to have a 5-point harness to keep me out of the front panel :). When I was having problems, I was ok for a couple of stops, but repeated stops caused the brakes to get ever weaker. After sitting overnight, I would have fluid around the wheels on the floor of the hangar. I found that I had expander tubes leaking. I called AAC and they told me the same thing I and everyone else is telling you; change out to Clevelands and be done with it! I don't know if you can find the tubes used or not, but I know you can't find them new at all. If you can find them used, think about how old they would have to be. It seems like you are just putting the same problem off until another day to be repeated all over again. Good luck in your efforts.

Agreed re Hayes. OK brakes. Like the Goodyear, no parts.
I called and talked to a nice lady at Skybound a few days ago about Bodells. I think my master cylinders will work OK. The Bodell is very compact with a good drag advantage over present Goodyears or future Clevelands.(the calipers hang out in the breeze. About the same price as cleveland. Future support for the Bodells may be a factor.
Any comments pros or con about the Bodell? I have no experience with the Bodell though I have been aware of it for a long time. I wonder if anyone else may have considered them?

Ron

A short story: It is always the simple sh-t that kicks your as-! When I got involved with the 1939 Spartan Exec, it had Goodyear brakes and was like stepping in mud. The damn thing would not answer the helm. Scary with a capitol S. We fussed and moaned about changing things using stuff off a C 310 etc all to still stepping in mud. Finally we put Clevelands on it and NO it was still stepping in mud. We changed the master cylinders and wham problem solved. The simple stuff --Pascal's Principle. The original master cylinder area was 3 times the new master cylinder. Now this thing will pirouett and stop on a dime. What a difference. Lynn the crate :!:

I'm dragging out the copy of Aircraft Hydraulics that's been sitting on the shelf for 40 years, next to the DC-3 manual, and I'm gonna read the sucker !

What ever the relationships between master and slave pressures and areas are.. I aim to learn.

I'm $ 1700 into new cleveland wheels and brakes and viking axles... so whatever is gonna make the system work
without endless problems.. is what I'm gonna do.

Appreciate all the comments and advice.

Capt. Larry :p

There is an old adage in electronics, it says: Make it look exactly like the schematic and it has to work. Do the same with your brakes make it look like C-172 or whatever and it has to work. 8)
Lynn the crate

I have the Goodyear manual for the wheels and brakes for a 14-19-3A in 5 humongous files if anyone needs them. Let me know, and I will send them to you. They are for the 9532673 main gear and the 9532186 or 9532112 nose gear and the 9532181 brake assy. Sorry about the file size, they are pdf files.
lhl

Back