New Guy

Many taildraggers only need brakes for the run-up. Brakes aren't installed on the right side. I've done and do quite a bit of primary instructing in C120s and Stinsons which were built without brake on the right side. No problem. Bellanca 14-XX-Xs are another story!

I hear that the Bellanca 14-13 is a docile aircraft to fly and land. I also hear that it is a challenge in a crosswind. I hear that it really needs it brakes but that they are weak. I got my tail wheel endorsement in my 14-13 and all but a couple hours of my tail wheel time is in my 14-13 and that is only about 50 hours so, so I don't have anything to compare it to. I guess my question is this. This appears to be contradictory information but in my short time with it it seem true. On a calm day it lands itself but on a day the crosswinds are in the mid teens to the low twenty's it is a bit more challenging. I also need the brakes, weak as they are, to taxi as just steering with the tail wheel don't seem to do much. So does this all sound right to you guys with time in other tail wheel types.

Kevin

Kevin, What you say is mostly correct. Though I learned to fly in a 150 in 1964, at least 75% of my lightplane flying since then, has been in conventional gear aircraft. I have found that Bellancas with tailwheels are pretty docile most of the time. Crosswinds can be challenging because of the slab sides and a weak rudder. Tailwheel steering should be effective and positive if everything is up to snuff, back there. The original brakes were either Hayes expander tube or Goodyear disc. I had the expander tube setup, originally. They were weak! There are a couple approvals to convert to more effective and modern brakes.

Dan,

Thanks for the info. I do have Cleveland brakes but still have the old Scott master cylinders so they don't hold real well. I do have a set of Cleveland masters I think I will try and install. I had been hold off installing them until I got better at keeping my feet off the toe brakes on takeoff.

Kevin

As you know, the original master cylinders are low pressure, high volume. The Clevelands need high pressure,low volume. I went through the same exercise that you're going through, now.

Back