New View from the Cockpit

bookmaker

Well, I got a new view from my Citabria cockpit yesterday. I flew it with the door off.

Great view - DOWN :shock: I tightened my seat belt just a little tighter.

Since mine has the sliding port side windows, the cockpit was pretty much open. I wasn't sure how the wind would be a factor inside, but not bad. I did notice a small pressure of air hitting the back of my left calf. Otherwise, nothing of note. I could definitely hear the 0-200 exhaust more.

Dale

Did you take the door off and fly it, or let the door go in the air? I know people who've done both, so the question had to be asked :lol:

I hope never to release it in the air. :? If I do, I hope I have a chute on. I took it off on the ground.

My '65 model doesn't have the safety pin like the later ones. It would be possible to release it by accident. I have been considering options for a safety. Losing the door wouldn't be a disaster, but if it hit the stab, that would be ugly. :shock:

Dale

I have seen that, but the lever used on the 65 model does not match the design on the one in the service bulletin. I may give them a call however.

Thanks for that reminder.

Dale

Its for the quick release ring. Had a few fall out now after they get 20+ years old and jamb in the elevator.
http://www.amerchampionaircraft.com/tech/SL434.pdf

Mine has no pin at all. It is held by a flat metal finger. There is currently no provision for any kind of pin.
If I get a chance I'll post a photo this weekend if anyone is interested.
Dale

Like Dale says my 65 Citabria has no safety pin. Sitting on the ground I tried to actuate to door jedison and put a fair amount of pressure on the handle and it would not budge. I assume some penetrating lubricant and moving the door back and forth would be necessary to get the hinge pins to pull out.

I don't have the door off STC.

I was kind of glad it did not actuate easily. My point in testing it was to see how easily you could inadventantly jedison the door.

Robert, I think you need to lube that assembly. Mine rotates easily. Just the friction of the pins pulling from the hinges.

That said, I hope neither of us need to "jettison" the door. :shock:

I am not sure why mine has the "door off" STC, but it does. Just makes for something different.

ps: it helps to have a second set of hands to put the door back on. Trying to hold the door, align the hinge pins and rotate the handle can be a pain.

pss: I confirmed that mine has the 39 gallon fuel capacity. I also found that the tanks hold about 10 gallons once you can't stick the fuel under the filler necks when on the ground. The fuel gauge sucks. At the approx. 10 gallon level, the fuel gauge bounces from 0 to 1/4 while flying. Not very reassuring. I can see fuel in the gauge window however.
Dale

yes, I beleive my tanks are the same.
yes, the fuel gauge is not much to write home about and there's only one!

Evolution for sure. Early Citabrias like mine and Robert's are what my friends and I call Missing Links. They are the link between the Champs and the "real" Citabrias.

Ours has:
1. Oleo landing gear (like Champ)
2. Low power (o-200)
3. No counterbalance on the elevators (straight hinge line like the Champ)
4. Squared wings, vertical fin, rudder and windows (like Citabrias)
5. Certified for aerobatics (like Citabrias)
6. Heel brakes (like Champs)

Right in the middle of the evolution path. :D

7. Trim on the Ceiling like a Champ
8. Sliding Left Windows like a Champ
9. Panel with (4) 3" Instruments

Thanks, forgot those. By the way, does your panel have the 2 instrument rows or 3? Mine has the taller panel with 3 rows.

Dale

Mine also has heel brakes (Until '72 I think on those?)

I saw an ECA that had the counter balanced elevators and rudder, oleos, and an O-200... no idea what year that would be... '66/67?

My rudder is counter balanced. I there is an STC to update the elevators/ stab to later versions with the counter balance. I have also noted in photos that there were different versions of the counter balance. Some much larger than others.

On sort of a related subject, I got a notice that they are trying to get a good representation of Citabrias at Oshkosh this year for the 50th anniversary of the Citabria. They especially want 1970 - prior. I sure would like to go, but that would be a LONG flight from north Florida at 95mph. I might have long range tanks, but not that long of a range bladder.

Speaking of long flights, the records of my Citabria indicate it has been owned by people from south Florida to California and several locations in between.

Dale

I couldn't get the time off this year for OSH. Just finishing up a fresh motor install, so It would have been a nice break in flight. I usually cruise right about 95mph as well (back at 2300rpm), but since I'd have to be running break-in power, I could probably plan on 105-110!

You just had to rub it in. Humpf! 95 mph at reduced power. I'm lucky to maintain a steady 95mph IAS at 2500 rpm :?

Dale

Fuel flows are pretty comparable probably. The heavier O-320 cuts considerably on the useful load, so the little O-200 is pretty awesome for some things. Open up the jet a little, crank the mags to 28°, and enjoy the extra 10 HP.

That is not the certified A&P in me talking.

Back