Pre-heaters???

Robert

First time I hear someone uses hair drier to pre heat the engine? They don't overheat on you?

Bruno

I had one dryer thermal out, so I replaced it with another (about $8 in the Dollar Store.) Never had a problem since. Remember, it's pretty cold out there when I use it....

Regards,

Jon,

Inre: preheating

I am using the Reiff System. Several of us like it because it heats the "bases" of the cylinders as well as the oil pan. This system also has an over heat protection. Tanis and others, also make outstanding systems.

Which ever you choose - make sure you don't cut corners with something that could start a fire.

Regardless of the preheater manufacturer, the real key to preheating is to have a good engine blanket and allow the engine time to come up to temperature. Thorough insultation allows the entire engine to elevate in temperature rather than parts of it. Lots of wear occurs in cold engines or cold areas of engines. Kennon corp is an example of a fine cover producer.

If you have to travel a distance to the strip, it is possible to put a heater on a timer. The manufacturers would have the appropriate recommendations.

At the expence of a new engine, it's worth preheating "the whole engine" at least to the manufactures recommended temperature.

Bill Richardson
Dillingham Alaska

Back