Recovering a cruisair

I'm a month behind but now out comes the spray gun! Larry the cable guy does covering----GET Er Done

Lucky, jammy, boyo. :mrgreen:
I'm gonna strip the fuselage top and sides to get rid of some unsightly seams in the pre-sewn envelope. This time I'll use Dan Cullman's blanket method and avoid the seam snakes.

More fabric and stitching: $200
More smelly Poly-Brush: $150
DD alot happier with the outcome: Priceless
:lol:

Dave,
I am interested in your opinion on the best way to cover the fuse, I was thinking of an envelope, by the sound of things not the way to go. I would love some photos and words on how you will do it.
My cruisair now stands totally naked for all to see, I'm just removing the firewall, and getting ready to gently sandblast and paint ( still a bit annoyed at the mice!!). All is going well and still enjoying the work. It's getting a little cold over here winter is nearly on us.

regards
Bernie

Bernie:
Dan Cullman and Scott Thomas are the cover gurus, but for what it's worth:

1) Install all wood. Paint the wood where the fabric touches with Poly Brush.
2) Cover the bottom first. Shrink and stitch.
3) Install the interior walls and headliner. Insulate as needed.
4) Install the metal baggage compartment if you have one. (Very important to do this AFTER installing the headliner- it makes the headliner installation so much easier).
5) From Dan Cullman: "Here's my take on covering the 14-13/14-19 fuselage. After all your work on this portion, wiring, wood, priming,blah , blah. You cover the belly in one piece....Now, using two full width pieces, you drape this assembly over the top and sides of the fuselage. Use "T" pins,and pencil marks, mark the backbone of the airplane. Double sew this line. Turn it inside out. Trim excess fabric. Pull the seam line just off center, glue and shrink."
6) One word of caution- do NOT brush back over your Poly Brush when freshly laid down. It will cause streaks and runs that will show through when you paint. If you miss a spot, wait until dry THEN go back and get it being careful not to get your brush into some previously painted Poly Brush.

Back