Tail Wheel Overhaul

pdriscoll

Recently, I took apart my tail wheel. I found the following parts. Does anyone have a drawing, pics, or parts list for the 14-13 tail wheel? Pat

Hi Pat, It is in both the "Handbook of Instructions..." and the aircraft parts list. I will copy and send you them. Send me your email.
Larry
PS would also appreciate your paperwork for your 165 air filter.
Larry

I don't think these are stock parts. Can anyone answer that? Also, i will send you some pics and the paperwork. Thanks.

I just noticed that a piece of your spring broke off. It should be ground flat. Get the parts and assemble in the order in the parts list. If you don't have a complete parts list, get the manual from the club.
Dan

and.. I wonder what folks are using for replacement tailwheel tires ??

( see my previous comments on this )

Larry :)

Larry,
What is in the photo is a 6X2 solid that is available from ACS or Desser--about $60 for about $3 worth of rubber. I have used a Maule SFS wheel and tire as well.
Dan

Dan,

Are the rubber isolators approved to use? Also, I guess I am gonna have to get a new spring or grind this one down/weld and make it flat. So can I use the rubber isolators in instead of the seals and oil? Pat

Almost forgot.. The inside of the tube is pitted. There is no way a seal can hold any fluid. I am gonna have to get the tube replaced with a new one as it can't be ground down, as it is only .063 thickness. I could also get a new tail wheel, but that might be difficult to find. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Pat

Hi Pat,
I don't know if you are interested but, my 14-19-2 has the Bellanca tail wheel replaced with a Scott #3200 and I am very pleased with it. I have the 337 and drawings dated 2/15/1995.

Jack

How badly pitted ?

Try a small expanding hone used for engine cylinders and brake cylinders..
see if you can clean it up. Nothing to lose- right ? 8)

Pat,
Give me a call after Nov 1. I might be able to help getting your project underway. I will say that your spring is unusable and I do have packings.
253-631-5280, Pacific Time.
Dan

JackFulford said:
Hi Pat,
I don't know if you are interested but, my 14-19-2 has the Bellanca tail wheel replaced with a Scott #3200 and I am very pleased with it. I have the 337 and drawings dated 2/15/1995.

Jack
Can you provide any information on the Scott #3200 tail wheel replacement? I have recently purchased a 14-13-2 (N74221) with a very disagreeable tailwheel that has a few home built replacement parts that are not per original spec dimensions - I assume, since they are causing misalignment and binding. I will try to conform this tailwheel to original specs, however would appreciate any alternative solutions, just in case :)

Grant Jordan has 1 or more cruisair parts airframes and you might well get a used tail wheel oleo from him.
New springs are commonly made/purchased for the main gear legs, and should be not that hard to get for the oleo.
Putting up with a bad tailwheel will put you in a ditch faster than almost anything.

I'm lucky my original is still all good. But that tire and tube.. Oh boy.

If you can keep your oleo and mate a modern tailwheel to it.. maule or scott
that might solve several problems at ones.

What do the cruismasters do ?

Hey Jack I would be interested in obtaining copies of your tailwheel setup. I have the original rebuilt and it is fine but would like to see what you did. Lynn the crate :?:

DanC,
I'm keen on finding some way to move away from what seems to be an Unobtanium inflatable tail wheel tire
to perhaps another wheel /inflatable tire that would fit in the original fork.

A solid rubber tire is so jouncy and noisy, I don't think I'd like it.

Am I asking for the moon, or worried about something I shouldn't with the solid one ?

Speaking of rear Oleo Overhaul, I've never done anything with mine.
Not even tried to change or add fluid.

What are the signs it might need help ?

On my 14-13-2 - the upper and lower bushings are very loose fitting around my tail wheel shaft and the flange on the bottom of the lower bushing also appears quite worn - about 0.040" thick. Would love to locate spare parts (Alexandria told me they have none) or dimensions so I can machine them. Also - does anyone have p/n for the various packing pieces?

Almost a two year gap in this topic.......
I think I have a spring or two left. I know I have the bushings and packings.
I have provided these to others in the past.
Dan

Back