The "Am I Full of It?" Sanity Check

I maintain my 14-19-2 to IFR standards. It is equipped with a single NAV/COM, transponder, ADF, and handheld GPS. I file IFR on all trips. I develop/maintain a flight log for each flight. I draw course lines on enroute charts and sectionals. Even though I always file IFR, I try to maintain VMC and am successful 95% of the time. I generally want the weather along my route to be better than 1000-3. I've never had a problem with the ATC system. Controllers are always professional and friendly. They often engage in idle talk. Most wonder what a B14A is (the ATC code for a Bellanca Cruisemaster).

About 4 or 5 years ago I was coming up from Florida to my home base near Rockford, Il. Had to fly over Alabama and up because I couldn't meet my weather standards flying the direct route over the mountains. As I entered the overcast at 1500' I requested VFR GPS direct to Springfield, Il, my destination, and as usual it was approved. About a minute later the Garmin went "Tango Uniform". I advised ATC and reverted to my pre GPS system direct by requesting to fly the heading computed on my flight plan until receiving Capitol (the VOR near my destination 400 miles ahead). This was promptly approved just like in the pre GPS days. As we progressed, I confirmed the computer generated checkpoints on the flight log with the ADF and VOR. I confirmed groundspeeds with the E6B. It was a blast doing some pilotage and old fashion navigating again. After 30 minutes we popped out on top on a beautiful moonlit night. Controllers as usual, seemed interested in idle talk. About 2 and a half hours into the flight the undercast started to dissipate right on schedule and I could see I was crossing the Ohio River within a mile of the course line on the sectional chart. The only way I could have more fun would be in a Bi-Plane.

BTW, this year I finally replaced the Garmin with a Dell PDA and Control Vision's GPS system. I think it is better thought out than Garmins. I've got about 30 hours on it including another Florida trip. It has worked flawlessly (as it will continue to do until it breaks). A PDA is a nice resource too.

I've been flying this triple tail for about 20 years IFR and see no safety or equipment reason to change. I might add a second com some day, more for ATC's peace of mind than mine. I think my practice is a higher safety standard than typical VFR.

I had less luck, Glen, with my latest package from Control Vision, but it wasn't their fault. The iPAQ 51something or other's internal GPS didn't work, and the black turtle shaped XM sat weather box just squatted on the glare shield content to do nothing.

Control Vision had me send all the stuff back to them. They didn't just replace things; they fixed/replaced things, set up the system to make sure it worked correctly, and sent it back with notes on what they did.

Just prior to their doing this I was so frustrated that I may have said some unkind things about them on this forum, noting that it was probably time to go with the GPS-In-A-Tub device Garmin sells. I've changed my mind.

Do you have a heated pitot, Glen?

Jonathan

I do not have a heated pitot. Do my best to avoid icing. The few times I momentarily picked up ice the pitot/static system worked normally. I have had problems with impacted snow in the pilot tube while in good VMC skirting snow showers. I've also had impacted snow melt then re-freeze in the pitot system turning the airspeed into an altimeter. This always happenned while in VMC so it was never a problem. In winter my biggest problem is getting enough cabin heat. I don't push the weather at all!

Back