The Triple Tail Tour

Interestingly, my early '50 Cruisemaster, although obviously built in New Castle at the Bellanca factory, is listed in the FAA registration database as a Downer 14-19.

This has puzzled me because, if I remember my Bellanca history correctly, Downer didn't come along until after (or maybe at the tail end of) the 1956-57 production runs of the 14-19-2.

There is nothing in my logbooks that indicates that Downer ever had anything to do with my bird. There is, however, an entry where the New Castle factory did some minor repair work to a wing tip in the early 50s.

Dave York

Well Gang, the crate is in pieces! All the metal is good ,but we got some wood work to do. I'm not shocked but suprised at all the bad undocumented repairs and patches beneath that covering. I'm shooting for June to join the tour, 9 degrees today and I'm into it big time. hard for me to believe but I'm touching stuff here that was last touched 50 years ago. Like they tell me, by the time your done you will be the expert! I say there is always the unexpected and I'm on a first name basis with Aircraft Spruce and Carroll at AAC.I press on. Lynn N9818B 8) :mrgreen:

Lynn:

You and Russell should exchange notes ;)

Happy to hear your optimism. You'd originally ruled this out due to the recover, but I sincerely hope you can make it.

Dave:

My Bellanca was also made in 1950 and it too has a Downer name attached. I would try to correct it, but who wants the attention of the FAA in any matters?

Jonathan

Jonathan,

Like you, I have no intention of becoming any more visible to the FAA than absolutely necessary.

It just struck me as curious that a few of the early 14-19s are listed as Downer manufactured planes, while others of the same and later vintage are listed as Bellanca manufactured planes.

Downer is also listed as having made the Republic RC-3 amphibian, which I think is the Seabee. An interesting airplane. There was one based at the Independence, Mo, airport when I was learning to fly. A big, draggy airplane that the owner jokingly claimed took off at 80, climbed at 80, cruised at 80, decended at 80, and stalled at 75. It probably had the Lyc. O-435 engine with the Hartzell variable pitch prop which, on the Seabee, would have the low pitch stop set to a slight reverse pitch. The owner liked to show off by turning in front of his tiedown to line up with the tiedowns, then taxi it backwards into position before shutting down. Always fun to watch.

Dave York

Ah, the Seabee, that so-ugly-it's-beautiful post war concoction. They've become very pricey because they've become rare and, like anything that touches water, expensive to maintain. Having once been an avid sailor, and dumb enough to own a sailboat at one time - now dumb enough to own airplanes - the notion of a marriage between air and water gives me shivers :shock:

I do find it interesting, though, that so many pilots also sailed at one time or another.

Jonathan

lwford said:
hard for me to believe but I'm touching stuff here that was last touched 50 years ago. Like they tell me, by the time your done you will be the expert! Lynn N9818B 8) :mrgreen:

Every time I dive into an old aircraft restoration I say the same thing to myself. Then I ask why I enjoy the punishment I bring upon myself time and time again. I'm still looking for the answer , I thought it was "love" of old airplanes but now believe that love is an obsessive compulsive disorder cured my marriage , or the prolonged exposure to butyrate.. :mrgreen:

yes, yes we all end up the same place---the obituary page! Lynn not sniffing dope yet but getting there. :mrgreen:

51 year old A&P / IA , leaving rual dirt strip airport @ 7:30 pm :

30 year old deputy sheriff with nothing else to do:

Deputy dog: "Sir" , have you ben drinking this evening ?

A&P/ IA : Do you mean the twelve bottles of water I've had today , or the soda I had with lunch , or what ?

Deputy dog: Sir have you been doing any drugs ?

A&P / IA : I do get my dope in 5 gallon buckets. And I believe I have sprayed at least 10 gallons today !

Deputy dog: Sir , I am going to have to ask you to step out of your car !

A&P / IA: Will that be a two step or a waltz ?

Deputy dog : Sir , what is that substance in the crevaces or your nose ?

A&P/ IA: What color is it?

Deputy dog: Sir, it is yellow !

A&P / IA: Lockhaven !

Deputy dog : ????????

Back