Triple Tail Tour: Blakesburg

Jonathan Baron

Much has been made of this Labor Day Weekend event: near Ottumwa (OTM) Iowa, the Antique Aircraft Association's "Annual Meeting"

Who's in?

Jonathan

I'm hoping to get my 14-12F3 to AAA this year, then on to Brodhead, if I can get an invite. I've always had a good time at Blakesburg.

I have never been able to attend, but if I recall correctly from previous AAA newsletters, you have to be a member of AAA or a guest of a member to attend.

Memberships are available on the field.

Dave York

That is true. I've never seen anyone chased off the field. You can join on the spot or be my guest. I'm a lifetime member.

I went to Blakesburg a couple of years ago and enjoyed it all. One thing to remember is that our old planes are not that old there and will more than likely be put in back. There was a cruisair there but the owner was not very friendly. Said the plane was for sale. If a few of you are going you can count me in. :lol: :lol: :lol:

We were not accorded back-40 status when more than one Triple Tail attended, Randy, and we will command good status this year. The President of the AAA has a fondness for our birds.

Jonathan

Yeah, I've never met him, but Mr Taylor always includes a short, nice note about Bellancas in my AAA membership renewal notice.

Dave York

Work could still get in the way, but this is looking more positive by the day for me. I thought it might be time for another poll - who's going?

, My airplane is ready, but my wife is not.......still recovering from surgery and she won't be able to drive for up to 10 days or more. Have a great fly-in. I'll have to wait 'til next year.

And it's coming down to the wire, Ladies and Gentlemen...generator failed utterly...good mechanic friend nearly breaks his back getting the damned thing out of there (firewall dish fasteners have to be removed from behnd that panel)...generator bearings shot....will he find replacement bearings in time? Ah, damn, if I miss this one, I'm going to take a match to this thing and spare several of my friends future pain and suffering :roll:

Jonathan

Jonathon: Take it to an alternator shop and have it rebuilt. I am planning on being there just to meet you and lynn. I will be sure not to park next to you'all because my plane has 800 hrs sense rebuild and I need to do some work on it. They say phones don't work to well there,but the last time I was there my AT&T worked well. If you see a Yellow and Red 14-13-2 Do a low pass Friday around lunch Call me when i land. (almost all red on bottom) My # is 940-368-7973.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Took it to a guy today, Randy. Nice fella who returned my call on a SUNDAY who rebuilds generators and alternators on old/antique cars. Ah, but the 14-19 eeeevil karma struck again. Lycoming O-435 A, with the A standing for automotive accessories I was told. Uhhh...no. Delco-Remy 1101882. No mention of any part remotely related to it in any of this guy's books, plus he said he'd never SEEN a generator with an armature of such a small diameter before. Preferred Air Parts doesn't list it. Spruce lists it on their site, but I won't know until tomorrow whether they have one in stock. My mechanic gave me the number of a place in Louisville to try as well. If I'm lucky though, and can get one sent overnight, my mechanic is willing to come out, after his day job with the FAA in D.C., and endure the physical and emotional toll of putting it in and signing it off. No time for less costly measures like an overhaul, alas.

Although I told my employer that there is no cell reception WHATSOEVER there, I've gotten mine to work. I also told him that aviation radios don't work there either.

Russell left yesterday to avoid something moving ashore on the west coast. Weather I assume, not Godzilla who, to the best of my knowledge, only strikes Japan. Two of my Texas Luscombe buddies are heading out tomorrow if it finally stops raining around Dallas. They'll be flying WSA: World's Smallest Airline. The logo and name look most convincing, painted on the highly polished Luscombe 8A they're coming in. Oh, and no extra charge for baggage...'cause YOU CAN'T BRING ANY in an 8A.

And a photo does exist of Lynn's "new" 'Master. Crafty bastard sent one to Russell who posted it on the Antique Aircraft Association's website: http://www.antiqueairfield.com

Hope to see you, Randy. Mine hasn't been recovered since '69, so you're welcome to park next to me. I plan on using one of those sonic bird deterring devices to drive them over to where's Lynn's is parked so they'll crap all over it. I'm bringing my Bruce Custom Covers as a counter measure against possible retaliation.

And even if the cell reception sucks, Lynn will be easy to find. After 32 weeks spent recovering his airplane, he'll be in the bar. After all the stuff I've been through with mine I'll be there sitting next to him.

Jonathan

When this was Aero Electric they had anything and everything to do with old generators. It may be a dead-end lead now.

Kelly Aerospace Turbine Rotables, Inc ((Former: Aero Electric, Inc ))
3414 W 29th St S, Wichita, KS 67217-1056, United States (Map)

Phone: (316) 943-6100

Burned through my cell minutes for the month this morning. Best I could do was Aerotech. They have an armature but the case it was in is trash. So I sent mine off to them, overnight priority one....man, that costs a fracking FORTUNE. They overhaul it tomorrow, and WHACK me with the shipping back....gets installed on Wednesday night. The one guy I can trust to put in it will have to do so after quitting time on his day job. Good news is that I may be okay. Bad news is that I'll be at least a day late and MANY dollars short :shock:

Still, this was looking mighty iffy there for awhile. Naturally it had to be one of the rarer generators on the PLANET...perhaps I've scared away the kid who wondered if he should get a Triple Tail or a Cessna 140, eh? He was looking at a Cruisair though. Dunno how hard it is to find a generator for one of those, unless you go the Randy, hopped up conversion route.

Jonathan

Ah Jonathon, the joys of owning a brand X Lycoming....Hey guys I am flying up with a friend in his Super Cub. I didn't want my fifty plus year old cotton sitting out for that long. I have to try to baby it until I have time to recover. See you guys there.....Greg

Back