Triple Tail Tour: Blakesburg

My goodness, Greg - the original Cotton? Cool! Well...it would be cool, if fresh. This shinny, glassed stuff we use now does not exactly present an authentic look, but after Lynn's tale and torment I doubt any of us will be entertaining a recover job in Grade A Cotton or Irish Linen. I don't think they're doing that anymore for the genuine antiques either. Plus it looks like there will be rain.

Glad you're coming, though...really looking forward to meeting you, sir :)

My airplane should be ready late this afternoon. I can't very well begrudge my fate, though, as the weather today would have precluded my departure anyway.

See you soon!

Jonathan

Generator job went well, most of the work was fixing the wiring so that THIS TIME it won't eat a voltage regulator. This will be the fourth regulator in 40 hours.

The east coast is closed. So's Illinois, Ohio, West Virginia, and there looks to be something akin to a Super Cell in eastern Iowa. The briefer muttered stuff about troughs, Airmets for the entire region, stuff like that. I just looked at all the data, merrily clicked on all those red boxes all over the map to read discouraging METARs.

Tomorrow, I hope.

Jonathan

Well It looks like I am block by that front. They say it will linger from Kansas east with a lot of rain for a couple more days. I will look in the morning around 6 and see if they are right. Not looking good :x :x :x

I know, Randy...that's one LAZY front with a big trough keeping it company. A large contingent of Stearmans (early vintage) and Russell's Ryan just managed to make it in today in the haze. The organizers are doing those air mail stamp runs though, at historically low altitude though for different reasons.

But if you weren't an optimist at heart you could never become an aircraft owner.

Jonathan

Looked at the weather from Dallas. As you'all see rain across Tulsa Rain all the way around Radar Orillys home. I bet that feild is pretty wet. Does anyone know if cglucas made it up there in the Supper Cub.
Well scense I am home I guess I will go find some work. If I can't fly I might as well make some more money for gas. :lol:

Oh, and Randy, folks phoning me from there report that the big rain (damned near a Super Cell) didn't hit there. Just a lot of low vis but it's due to brighten up today.

Looks like I've been held up a day by personal events. Hope to be there early evening Saturday. Weather is perfect this side of the front.

By 2:00PM I could at least take off. My hunt for holes to poke my 'Master's nose through along the Appalachian ridge failed...frustrating. Gave up on Flight Service as it's impossible for them to understand the word, brief, in briefing. The guy was giving NOTAMs for parachute jumpers in Terra Haute that I could never terrify unless I could GET OVER THE MOUNTAINS...the dumbass. Should be a clear shot tomorrow.

Jonathan

Let's see:

Pro detailing job. Couldn't get a local kid to do it, and I physically cannot.

Oops...generator fails.

Good friend sends battery powered GPS.

Dust off the battery packs on my handheld radio.

Another good friend and wonderful mechanic rearranges his life to fix my electrical problems. The problem is more than hardware; there's a wiring problem and the poor guy spends hours under that...panel, fixing it. Bill for generator overhaul is...high, but they do it fast, I also needed a new voltage regulator. I would have had to get this stuff fixed anyway, but haste made it cost a whole lot more. 170 bucks just for overnight shipping, one way, to the one place that will overhaul that old generator.

I hire a sign painter guy to renew the red, slanted <image "Bellanca" slanting forward> letters on my stainless steel cowl trim. 14-19s had that.

For a change I fix something: my rotating beacon. No big deal, except to me, it was hard to get to, and harder to find the broken connection when the beacon itself was okay, and I don't want to turn up to a show like this with a frigging STROBE on MY airplane.

Tune up flights. Managed to get the take-off nice and short, employing as much flap as fully deflected aileron, and get my approach speed below 75mph. Not easy on mine. It's, like me, overweight. Antique Airfield is short and what are the two things EVERYONE wants to try - first - in an airplane (mine has mostly been down the past two years): how short can I take-off, and how short can I land.

Bought antenna and fresh ionic bipolar drug (Lithium-Ion) battery for the GPS.

Lightspeed headset earcups turn to shredded power...order new ones and replace them.

Create the minidisk music disks for the trip. These are wittle CDs that go into a small music player and have MUCH higher fidelity than Aye Pods. You'd notice. Lightspeed headsets are pretty good. They're not ear buds.

Order current sectionals from Marv Golden along with the ear cups. Local FBOs here don't have sectionals anymore.

Update those thin, thin pages of my Flight Guide.

Write Paul Bertonelli, editor of Aviation Consumer and AvWeb. He says Aviation Consumer is not interested in reviewing aviation products from the 20s and 30s, but he wants "podcasts" for AvWeb on this event. I plan on interviewing folks there. I used to do that sort of thing.

Robert asks for an article comparing our Triple Tails to other classics at the event. I eagerly agree.

Load the cell numbers of Glenn and Lynn into my cell phone and pack up the airplane.

Am trapped by the remnants of some hurricane for two days.

On the second day of being trapped, I fly along the east side of the Appalachian ridge trying to file a hole through its cloud bunting. Fail

On the third day it looks promising. I blast off. Find myself in the clouds. Nobody really find themselves in clouds but I was plenty pissed off. Return to my senses, turn around, and get on top of a cloud layer on my way back.

That seasoned aviator/mechanic who helped me is getting frustrated. Tells me I'm low time. Compared to him, and his years of pipeline patrol, crop dusting (sorry, Monty: aerial application), and all sorts of weather flying I am indeed very low time. Says I am incapable of analyzing a surface chart. Says if I head south to Kentucky I'll find a hole.

Try it, and fail.

Am told I need to learn more about surface charts.

Glenn calls me last night from Blakesburg. He's the only guy who makes it: a Triple Tail Tour of one. He's on the way to the bar. I could use a really good bar, but would prefer a bottle of Beam by myself. Resist the notion. Am happy for Glenn really. He alone managed to plant our flag at the best Blakesburg event in at least a decade.

It's Sunday morning. Getting out of bed is oddly difficult. I come downstairs and look at the bag packed with clothes, the Flight Guides, the sectionals with course lines drawn on them, and all sort of other...stuff.

This is private aviation, I tell myself: private aviation in old airplanes represented amidst the detritus and piles of things; private aviation involving airplanes unsuited to IFR, owned by a "low time" pilot who could never heed the advice of his parents who counseled, "Don't get your hopes up."

I ponder giving Lynn a call, fly up to Butler and have a Triple Tail Tour of two. That would be twice the number that turned out for Blakesburg.

But the weather sucks.

Polish my resume. Time to get the hell out of Virginia and back to a place where a low-time guy like me can go places.

Jonathan

You did good Jonathan.

I think you can take that “low time” sign down now. You showed the intelligence and decision making skills of a season aviator. I could feel the pain as
I read your post, I’m not sure this “old crop duster” could have turned around. Probably would have went on and flew into one of those little bumps the
folks back there call mountains. :wink:

Glad you are with us to fly again. :D :D

For a change I fix something: my rotating beacon. No big deal, except to me, it was hard to get to, and harder to find the broken connection when the beacon itself was okay, and I don't want to turn up to a show like this with a frigging STROBE on MY airplane

Got a chuckle out of that part, when it came time to decide whether to fix or cover over the hole for my antique old beacon on the belly I elected to fix it.
Half a day later, with the help of some certified aircraft parts from Ace hardware it was turning like a champ. While I was slaving away the brother came in and informed me he had one of those old pieces of crap up in the rafters. I didn’t want his beacon I wanted the one that came on the plane 50 years ago, although up till now I’m the only one that would have known.

It works, it’s in its original position, and I will leave the wing tip strobes off when I come into the next flyin just for Jonathan.

Thanks, Monty. Coming from you it means a lot to me.

And, yeah, there's just something about those beacons. The good friend and great mechanic who labored hard to restore electrical generation capability to my airplane was not delighted with my choice. It was night when I ran it up to make sure the juice registered as the tach reached 1200. He stood outside. My beacon revealed a frown on his face, many successive times, as it rotated. But for the likes of folks here, airplanes are love affairs, not trophy wives.

Jonathan

Enjoyed my first trek to Blakesburg. The airplanes and airport were great. What really made it were the people! Russel found the Bellanca before I could get it tied down. The first time I met him in person - like everyone a super guy. He showed up in a neat Ryan all metal low wing. The only one I've seen. Russel encouraged us to try to gather again next year. It is a great event for that purpose. I think he expects Jonathan to take 2 weeks off incase he has to walk to make it next year. Got fairly close to prime time parking tailed into the woods slightly east and across from the bar.

I spent hours explaining Cruisemasters do not have Franklin engines and we don't have to rotate the gear crank 40 times each retraction/extension. I understand a Cruiseair was there earlier. Also a Viking showed up for a short time - both left before I arrived late Saturday. I think Thursday evening to Saterday evening is prime time for the event. Departures start on Saturday afternoon and the place starts to empty quickly Sunday morning. There was a lot of interest in Bellancas. I suggested to numerous people they join the club to get familar with the airplane. People at this event (and Lee Bottom) understand what they're getting into with this type of plane and they are great to talk to. I ran into a girl working with a foundation for kids building airplanes in Grandbury? Texas rebuilding a 14-19. They were short on info and she took a lot of pics. I suggested she get involve with the club as well and try to hook up with some club members as a resource on the project. Next time I might just bring some handout if I get the time to develope them.

The old timers at the event said this was the best gathering they ever had. The campground was full and drive-ins had to park off the airport and walk. The volunteers had to be resourceful to accommodate the neat planes at the event. I'm looking forward to next year!

Back