Yet another fabric covering question

Lynn

Know how you feel, I have been ready to start priming and painting for some time but there are too many airplanes in the shop at this time. Not really wasting much time though, there are always a lot of small jobs that need to be done. Friday I started cleaning up the firewall in preparation for putting the engine back on. Was looking at the gas hoses.
First thought, “why are these steel braided”, second, “they sure look good must have been changed recently”. Noticed they had tags on them, removed one it said, AeroQuip cure date 6-1958 another was 3-1957. COULD THESE ACTUALLY BE ORIGINAL?

This project really amazes me at times, also a little spooky, 50 year old gas hoses!!!
Better take another look at this thing.

Still having fun though, lets shoot for Osh next year, see how many blue ones we can get lined up.

You should see the brake hoses I pulled off. They were so old the tags were corroded so badly I could not read them. The tags just crumbed when I touched them. They had red over-spry on them and the airplane has been green for 12 years so the last time it was repainted red was way back. The dumb part is these are so easy to change. They are the ones under the panel under the front floor.

Kevin

I'm not going to make it to OSH! This is to me a major disappointment. The new(#2) windshield is in. I went from a 3/16 to 1/4 inch had the dame thing custom cut and it still took Jim and me 6 hours to get in and secured and thats not taped yet! This alone is another chapter on my Bellanca book about recovering the crate. Tomorrow I tape and then start the last thing the door. Paint it and we are on our way. Oh by the way another chapter is about overspray. Even with an HVLP you will not believe where this crap goes! Lynn the crate :twisted:

Lynn:

Glad to hear you have the windshield in. Sad to hear you’re not going to be at OSH. I wasn’t going as we just got back from a grandkid trip, probably the last one in the 210, (the only way to go to Yellow Stone this time of year is at 11.5 at 175 kts) had so much fun decided, life is too short, so will, go try to forget all the things I should be doing. Need to hit the Flee Market anyway, ebay just isn’t producing like it used to. :?:

I just got through working on my door, the bottom hinge had the two outside screws broke out. I put a metal reinforcing plate in, fiber glassed and it came out very strong and looks good too. Have you got the door seal yet? I looked for some at Osh last year, had a piece with me but most of the vendors, look at you like you have two heads unless you have a part number or can point it out as you hand them your credit card.

I guess next year is our year; the airplanes should be together and flying. All we will have to worry about is buying, “GAS”. :!:

Monte, the door turned into a project. I had to replace both hinges. The top one -2 was broken and the bottom one was repaired but at the wrong angle when the crate was first busted up in 1959. The door is a real nice fit now and I have a soft 1/4 round half inch seal to install. Carroll sent the last -1 bottom hinge today. I too fiberglassed the hinge lines now I have to drill and tap the hinges, both had #8 screws through door I'm going with one # ten and ground fender washer. I press on with the final paint --overspray a very big problem in small hangar. If we ever could post pics on the site would be nice but every time I tried the file was to large. Not being a computer wiz I got better things to work on.Lynn :mrgreen:

I am redoing my engine and I too found braided steel hose for fuel with the 1958 date. How someone could rebuild an engine (last rebuilt about 1992) and not replace the 1958 hoses is beyond me. At this years annual my mechanic noted pitting on the crankshaft as well as a ding on the engine mount that was not airworthy. Decided to bite the bullet and do it all right. All new cylinders (replacing the 2400 hour old, .015 oversize, last rebuilt in '92 cylinders), new used crank (without the pits) etc. Engine mount went to a shop in Georgia for a bit of splicing. Inspected and resealed the prop while I was at it and despite my lack of faith in JPI's in carbureted engines, I did throw one in. The old hoses were the hint that the guy who rebuilt the engine might have been inclined to take shortcuts. When you don't trust your engine, it takes a lot of the fun out of flying. (especially when you live in a mountainous area).

Update: in 5 days I'm 8 months into this pig. Painting done, the wings are on and today I got the electrics and hydrulics done. I cycled the gear and took it off the jacks. Dame thing looks great but at what a price in time and effort. I'm now assembling and testing. I will install the cowl and prop next two days, then start to mount the ailerons and flaps. It is the little things that take up your time such as cowl chafing. Always waiting for sh-- to dry! Lynn the crate :evil:

IT'S ALL OVER! 32 WEEKS AND THE CRATE FLEW TODAY!! I can't believe I'm done with it and it looks great. As for pictures I need some help here. What a hard and long job. When I'm ready I will gather a series of articles on this journey. I have had my ups and downs what a project. It is now over and it took all my lunch money, now we buy gas not Poly Fiber products! Lynn N9818B the crate resurrected :D :D :D :D :D

Let's see....how should I put this....

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!! Outstanding, Lord Ford!

PHO-TOES, PHO-TOES, PHO-TOES!!

I am so happy for you, Lynn. Now will you phuleeese come to Blakesburg next week so I may have the privilege of beholding this bane and blessing of your existence, sir. My generator/regulator/god knows ain't working so well but I'm coming if I have to get a tow plane to drag my Bellanca there.

Jonathan

Oh, and regarding those photos, Russell will be there with his best-there-is camera gear of his, and I'm sure he'll be hap, hap, happy to do it justice.

Back