Oil cooler for 1413.

Gary Brink

I started my engine this week and found a leak in the oil cooler. I have removed it and took it to a certified welder for repair but I see some rust on it as well as a bit of a bend on it's top. Are all of the oil coolers steel? Are there oil coolers available for sale anywhere?
Gary

Every year at the West Coast Fly In.. we get a little package from these folks:

Pacific Oil Cooler Service
La Verne, Cal. 91750

1-800- 866-7335
909- 593-8400

Copied off the free ball point !

Call them.

also there is an oil cooler thread from previous posts.

sounds like it's time for a new core.
sorry !

Larry

The good news is I took it to a certified welder and it appears to be holding pressure. We were able to pump 50 psi into it and it didn't leak. I have it back on the bird and will see what happens on Monday.
Gary

ok.. cold oil pressure on a Franklin can pretty easily reach 50 psi
so I'd want a 50 or 100 % higher test pressure.. normal oil pressure around 30 psi so 100% is 60 psi

this is where I would call that 800 number and get free advice, knowing that I don't really know .

L.

The end of the story is my oil cooler is on it's way to Pacific Oil Cooler Service for a cleaning and an overhaul. Thanks for the advice, Larry.
Gary

I've had good luck with Pacific. I replaced my Heat Exchangers cooler with a Harrison years ago on a field approval. This was with my 180 Franklin/Debs STC.
Dan

I used the (Stinson) STC to put the Harrison cooler on my 150 Franklin about 1988 and found that (1) I had to put a little bump on the bottom of my cowling because it's bigger, (2) the thing REALLY cools the engine; almost too much since I rarely see much over 80 now, (3) I had to make a new duct between the cowl and the cooler to avoid making the bump in #1 even bigger and route the carb intake air around the cooler, not under it.

Not sure I'd do it again.

Bad news and good news. Pacific Oil coolers said that mine was beyond repair.....but they would build me a non-PMA cooler for only $1,040. The good news is I believe I have located one. I'll report back if it is serviceable
when it has been tested, etc.
Gary

ouch ! that hurts.
there are so many cruisairs that aren't airworthy any more,
that there HAS to be one kicking around.

L. :cry: :shock:

There is one on ebay now:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Very-Nice-Stinson-Bellanca-14-13-Fedders-Oil-Cooler-Model-C-1311H-/321523334259?pt=Motors_Aviation_Parts_Gear&hash=item4adc48bc73&vxp=mtr
Larry L

So I have to ask Dan, can you just tell from the configuration or by the nomenclature? The TCDS for the 14-13 calls for a Fedders 1311H and the TCDS for the 14-12F-3 calls for a Harrison HE 212. Is the "C" in front of the 1311H in the ad the clue?

Well, I could go on about some of the inconsistancies that I have found in matching TDCS data with reality in dealing with vintage airplanes. I have three pre-war 6 cylinder Franklins....Two are equipped with Fedders, one with a Harrison. The only Fedders oil cooler I've seen on a Franklin 150 was on an early "B1" engine, serial number "T-42"...a test engine from Aircooled, installed in a Bellanca 14-12-F3 in Syracuse in 1945. Probably, in the development of the type certificate, Bellanca thought that the Fedders would be available and included it in the TDCS. The fact is, that in researching Fedders, which had been making radiators since the turn of the century, quit doing so after the end of WW2 and moved into the HVAC industry. I have never seen anything other than Heat Exchangers oil coolers installed as original equipment on the 14-13 series.
If you will look at the mounting flanges on the photo, they are totally different than that of the Heat Exchangers cooler, of which I have several. Without major modification they can't bolt up using the screws holding on the oil pan.
Respectfully,
Dan

Gary, NO JOY! I tested the one I took off of an engine that had been overhauled 200 hours ago (25 years) and thought it was good, but left it in the bucket of water for about 20 minutes and discovered that there was a small bubble every 5 or 6 minutes. As I said, I ran across 3 others in the back corner of my barn, so I tested them all. Two of them made the bucket look like a volcano, and one just dribbled out bubbles every minute or so. This makes me wonder about the one in my own plane. This is one of the problems with owning airplanes with unobtainium parts. Sorry that I cant help you. ______Grant.

As far as testing the Heat Exchanger oil coolers. It says right on the data plate to test to 100 PSI. Years ago I had some other oil coolers that looked almost the same, but the data plate said test to 200 PSI. Other than different mounting brackets they looked no different (no stronger) than the Franklin ones. _______Grant.

Gary Brink said:
The end of the story is my oil cooler is on it's way to Pacific Oil Cooler Service for a cleaning and an overhaul. Thanks for the advice, Larry.
Gary

Great company! I've done the tour of the factory.

OK, another last word on my oil cooler problem. Pacific Oil Cooler Service makes a non-PMA cooler that will work on my engine and I have ordered it and asked for a copy of the 337 for it. Yes, it is expensive but far cheaper than losing oil pressure and possibly the engine while flying far from an airport.
Gary

Hi Gary,
So is that the $1K one you mentioned earlier? I "heard" that there may be a fit issue on Bellancas but it is only hearsay at this point. Would you let us know if that is indeed the case? I understand the Stinson folks who have used it love it!
Good luck on getting it back in the air soon. Hope you get to see fall colors!
LL

Larry Lowenkron said:
Hi Gary,
So is that the $1K one you mentioned earlier? I "heard" that there may be a fit issue on Bellancas but it is only hearsay at this point. Would you let us know if that is indeed the case? I understand the Stinson folks who have used it love it!
Good luck on getting it back in the air soon. Hope you get to see fall colors!
LL

I think they can make the oil coolers any size you want. When I was there they were making a cooler for one of the P-38's based at my airport. Most oil coolers are pretty much the same, only the size and shape changes. $1k is a little higher than an off the shelf unit but not a terrible price.

Chino Airshow 2013.
2mris10.jpg

Back